LegalSectionsLaw That Leads
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, where an Indian company, or a permanent establishment of a foreign company in India, being the borrower, incurs any expenditure by way of interest or of similar nature exceeding one crore rupees which is deductible in computing income chargeable under the head "Profits and gains of business or profession" in respect of any debt issued by a non-resident, being an associated enterprise of such borrower, the interest shall not be deductible in computation of income under the said head to the extent that it arises from excess interest, as specified in sub-section (2) :
Provided that where the debt is issued by a lender which is not associated but an associated enterprise either provides an implicit or explicit guarantee to such lender or deposits a corresponding and matching amount of funds with the lender, such debt shall be deemed to have been issued by an associated enterprise.
(2) For the purposes of sub-section (1), the excess interest shall mean an amount of total interest paid or payable in excess of thirty per cent of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation of the borrower in the previous year or interest paid or payable to associated enterprises for that previous year, whichever is less.
(3) Nothing contained in sub-section (1) shall apply to an Indian company or a permanent establishment of a foreign company which is engaged in the business of banking or insurance.
(4) Where for any assessment year, the interest expenditure is not wholly deducted against income under the head "Profits and gains of business or profession", so much of the interest expenditure as has not been so deducted, shall be carried forward to the following assessment year or assessment years, and it shall be allowed as a deduction against the profits and gains, if any, of any business or profession carried on by it and assessable for that assessment year to the extent of maximum allowable interest expenditure in accordance with sub-section (2):
Provided that no interest expenditure shall be carried forward under this sub-section for more than eight assessment years immediately succeeding the assessment year for which the excess interest expenditure was first computed.
(5) For the purposes of this section, the expressions-
(i) "associated enterprise" shall have the meaning assigned to it in sub-section (1) and sub-section (2) of section 92A;
(ii) "debt" means any loan, financial instrument, finance lease, financial derivative, or any arrangement that gives rise to interest, discounts or other finance charges that are deductible in the computation of income chargeable under the head "Profits and gains of business or profession";
(iii) "permanent establishment" includes a fixed place of business through which the business of the enterprise is wholly or partly carried on.]
LegalSectionsLaw That Leads
Ready to solve your legal matters with confidence? Contact our expert legal consultants today and get the guidance you deserve. Don't delay, take the first step towards a brighter legal future.
© 2023 LegalSections. All Rights Reserved.