INDIAN KANOON SECTION 468 CrPC - Code of Criminal Procedure - Bar to taking cognizance after lapse of the period of limitation
- Except as otherwise provided elsewhere in this Code, no Court, shall take cognizance of an offence of the category specified in Sub-Section (2), after the expiry of the period of limitation.
- The period of limitation shall be?
- six months, if the offence is punishable with fine only;
- one year, if the offence is punishable with imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year;
- three years, if the offence is punishable with imprisonment for a term exceeding one year but not exceeding three years.
- For the purposes of this section, the period of limitation, in relation to offences which may be tried together, shall be determined with reference to the offence which is punishable with the more severe punishment or, as the case may be, the most severe punishment.